Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Language Institute

Language Institute
The people I have met since coming to BH have been so nice and helpful.  The work at the Institute has begun and it looks like I will be able to observe and participate in about 43 classes total. Yesterday was my first full day and it went great.  I was able to see a wide range of ages in the classes from children to adult.  The teachers have really made me feel welcome and they ask a lot of questions as well.  The institute is about a 10-15 minute walk (10 minutes down and 15 minutes up). This is a city of hills and I am not talking about hills like between Perkins road and Jardot on McElroy....I'm talking San Francisco streets on steroids!  This morning I am really feeling the burn! All of this is good for me for sure physically, emotionally and spiritually.

The roommates are great, full of laughter and neither of them speak English.  The one that does speak some English is home with a sick relative.  So.....that means its stretch time with my Portuguese!

I had the opportunity to see Dayse, another dear friend who has helped ARS tremendously in the past with translation and overall help.  She met me at the school after the classes and we went out to eat. It was wonderful to sit and talk, talk, talk.  She makes me smile and laugh when we are together.  And she makes me speak Portuguese!  She also asked about all the precious ones in the US that she loves. She sends hugs and I gave her one for each one of you!

The days are pretty routine.  In the mornings I have free which is good for the study I am doing to prepare to go to Denmark.  Classes begin for me at 11:45 am.  I choose to stay at the school in the 2 hour break in the afternoon, mainly because I can't face climbing the hills.  This has been a good opportunity for me to study and to talk with the teachers.  Classes generally are over about 8 pm. On Friday they only have one class, then the weekend is totally free.  I am looking forward to going to Lagoinha Baptist Church!  That is a favorite of mine!

I am doing laundry this morning and Nayara is fixing an early lunch for us to eat together.  So I have to run.  Thank you for your prayers, please continue.  God has me here for His reasons, and I don't want to miss a moment!

bless you.......

No comments:

Post a Comment